November 15, 2004

What does ministry mean?

I always read my wife's copy of CONGREGATIONS, a journal published by the Alban Institute. She is the minister of the Unitarian Universalist church in Newport, RI. After the magazine arrives at her church and she has had a first read she brings it home. I then attack it like a hungry dog tossed a good bone. There is always some meat attached.

The most recent issue focuses on lay ministry. This is my specialty, though I do not call it that. I am working hard to end the use of the term "lay ministry" in our congregations, as does the author of the feature article. I believe this is important as the only distinction between the ministry a "lay person" and an ordained minister is the status of the person doing it -- is she...

  • schooled
  • trained
  • compensated for her work
  • called
  • ordained
  • fellowshipped
  • allowed to wear a robe
  • put up high in a pulpit
  • and on and on...

It is all the same ministry. It is OUR ministry. Small group ministry has proven to be the most effective way to help us reclaim our ministry. It is important to have staff & clergy. However, I feel they should work to support and empower the ministry of all people, not take it on.

I often think that since it is easier to do it yourself than to help others learn to do so many called ministers just end up taking it all on.

I like to measure the quality of a called ministers ministry by the ministry of their membership. What's happening at Blank Parish that the minister is supporting, but not doing him or herself?The more the better. That's what, in my opinion, all of our world's greatest spiritual teachers taught.

Congregations, the Alban Institute, and their Congregational Resources website are all great resources for both clergy and lay leaders. The following is their description of the journal:

CONGREGATIONS is published quarterly as one of the benefits of membership in the Alban Institute. The magazine presents firsthand learnings and insights into the
dynamics of congregational life for clergy and lay leaders. Dealing with a broad
spectrum of issues and challenges, CONGREGATIONS is a valuable resource for
those who want to create vibrant, sustaining, and empowering communities of
faith.

You should get your hands on the FALL 2004 issue of CONGREGATIONS. You should also visit the Alban Institute's Congregational Resources Lay Ministry site. It has some great background on the "Lay Ministry" problem -- I call it a problem -- as well as book reviews and links to web resources.

A 41 page pdf version of this site is also available.

If you would like help unleashing the power of your congregations "Lay Ministry" give me a call. That's what I do.